Children's Disability Service
What Does Our Service Do?
We are a team of Health Visitors and Support Workers offering, advice, support and specialist information to parents and carers of disabled children and young people from birth to nineteen years old. We aim to support families by working with them in equal partnership to enable them to meet the challenges they face.
How Does Our Service Work?
Our role involves working with other professionals and agencies to ensure your child’s care is provided in a coordinated, timely manner and is centred around the individual needs of your child and family.
Some of the issues we address include:
- Adjusting to and accepting your child’s diagnosis.
- Helping you to feel skilled and informed about your child’s condition and needs.
- Assessing your child and family’s strengths/needs and making sure referrals to all appropriate services are in place.
- Advice on practical issues (for example, benefits, grant applications, equipment, respite support).
- Managing behavioural issues (for example, toileting, eating/drinking or sleep difficulties).
- Helping brothers and sisters adjust and helping maintain family life.
- Managing on-going changes in your children’s needs.
- Sleep Management Project (for children with Disabilities only) Please speak to a Childrens Disability Health Visitor for more details.
- Abdominal Massage project to launch 2013
Our service covers the whole of Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. There are currently approximately 600 children on our caseload. We have seven members of staff in our team, including four Children’s Disability Health Visitors and three Children’s Disability Support Workers.
Our service is delivered from:
We mainly visit children and families in their own homes and at school, plus a range of other settings such as hospitals and clinics. We are based at the following locations:
- Ashby and District Hospital
- Loughborough Hospital
- Springfield Road Health Centre, Leicester
- Guthlaxton School Clinic
- Hinckley Health Centre
How Can You Access Our Service?
To access our service you can:
Anyone can use the helpline or contact your local Childrens Disability Health Visitor, or complete a SPA referral
Children's Disability Health Visiting Team:
- Debbie Bromley, Children's Disability Health Visitor, Guthlaxton School Clinic
- Louise Burton, Children's Disability Service Team Leader, Bridge Park Plaza
- Gill Hardy, Children's Disability Health Visitor, Loughborough Hospital
- Nicky Huckerby, Children's Disability Support Worker, Springfield Road Health Centre
- Cheryl Lawson, Children's Disability Health Visitor, Ashby & District Hospital
- Steph Newitt, Children's Disability Health Visitor, Hinckley Health Centre
- Marie Simpson, Children's Disability Support Worker, Guthlaxton School Clinic
- Louise Yarker, Children's Disability Health Visitor, Springfield Road Health Centre
Helpline for parents, carers and professionals is open Monday-Friday 12:00-14:00 on 0116 225 6560
Speak to any other professionals in education, social services , or voluntary sector organisation who are involved in your child’s care.
By telephone: 0116 225 2525
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our website: www.leicspart.nhs.uk
Or our address:
Bridge Park Plaza,
Bridge Park Road,
Down's Syndrome Association
Down's Syndrome Association
How Did We Do?
You can give feedback about our service using our feedback form.