Mill Lodge for Huntington's Disease Service
What Does Our Service Do?
Mill Lodge is a community hospital for people with Huntington’s disease and severe and enduring mental health needs who require complex care due to physical, psychiatric, behavioural and psychological needs or rehabilitation.
It has four small homely units each with eight or nine bedrooms and facilities to meet all domestic needs. All bedrooms have an en-suite and access to a small patio and garden area. There are a number of therapy and activity areas as well as themed garden rooms.
We organise a comprehensive assessment of:
- Physical health
- Emotional needs
- Behavioural changes
- Cognitive function
- Social well being and coping
We build on individual strengths and with the patient develop person centred care plans. There is regular review to renew goals in the care and treatment process. The assessment tools allow us to measure individual progress, based on function rather than symptoms, to maximise independence, confidence and well being.
We provide a full and varied activity programme, assisting in establishing routine and predictability to the day to restore function and develop new skills.
How Does Our Service Work?
There are 35 inpatient beds at Mill Lodge and the multi disciplinary team work between Mill Lodge and the HD Community Services. The team comprises:
- Medical team; Consultant, Associate Specialist, Senior House Officer and GP
- Nursing team led by a Team Manager with support from a Community and Ward Matrons who supervise and support trained health care staff
- Occupational Therapist who leads the Activity Co-ordinators
- Speech Therapist
- Unit Administrator who has responsibility for the ancillary staff teams; catering, housekeeping, maintenance and secretarial and admin staff.
The Huntington’s Disease Community Team of 3 nurses have approximately 100 community clients on their caseload.
Mill Lodge is based in the village of Kegworth and our Community nurses can see patients in their own homes or at a venue to suit the client. We also hold a multi-disciplinary clinic every month at the Bradgate Outpatients Clinic as well as a monthly Research Clinic.
If you are to receive in patient care at Mill Lodge you can expect;
- To be treated with respect and dignity, your views and opinions sought in all aspects of your care
- To receive a thorough assessment to confirm needs and strengths that identifies the level and type of treatments, therapies and support you require
- To be offered a full programme of activities to restore function, develop skills, abilities and confidence based on the assessment outcomes
- Weekly contact with your named nurse to monitor your care and to seek your views, wishes and needs
- To gain understanding of your condition through educational programmes
- High quality care delivered in a homely supportive environment that is conducive to well being and relaxation.
- Person centred care planning both now and for the future
- Staff who are trained, experienced and supported to deliver quality care.
- A person centred approach; recognising that you are unique in your life, personal history, experiences and skills.
How Can You Access Our Service?
To access our service you can:
- Speak to your consultant psychiatrist for referral for rehabilitation
- Speak to your GP and ask him / her to refer you to the service.
- Speak to any other healthcare professional involved in your care to ask them to be referred to the service.
- If you are aware that HD is in your family you can contact us directly and refer yourself, providing you are over the age of 18.
You can telephone Mill Lodge on:
- 01509 561615
- 01509 561616
- 01509 561646
email us at : LHDS@leicspart.nhs.uk
Or contact us on our address at: Mill Lodge, Mill Lane, Kegworth, Derby DE74 2EJ
- Weekly groups are held on each ward each week.
- A monthly meeting to discuss issues relating to care and services provided
Carer Support Groups
- Carer support groups are held every three months in Leicester at The Mett Centre
How Did We Do?
If you would like to make any comments or raise any queries about our Service then please complete our online questionnaire.