Support groups and advocacy
What is an advocate?
At times, we all can find it difficult to speak up for ourselves and somebody else, like an advocate, might be able to help by speaking up on your behalf. An advocate will act as your mouthpiece. An advocate's job is to represent your views, your needs and your rights by speaking or writing on your behalf. An advocate can attend meetings with you or instead of you and they can help you get your entitlements.
Many advocates are people who have experience of mental health or learning disability services themselves and may have used the services in the past, so they're well-placed to understand what you're going through.
How to get an advocate
All patients are allocated a care co-ordinator who will know about advocacy services. Or, you can contact one of the advocacy and support services in our area, using the list below.
Support Groups and Organisations
Help for better mental health and wellbeing
Help for living a healthier lifestyle
Help with benefits, money and debt
- Welfare Rights Advice Line - 0116 225 6222
- Leicester Money Advice: Help with debt - 0116 242 1120
- Benefit Enquiry Line: For disability and carer benefits - 0800 882200
- Citizens' Advice Bureau - see Advice, below for more details.
- African-Caribbean Support Service: Housing advice - 0116 254 4230
- Age Concern Leicester: Welfare Rights Officer - 0116 299 0555
- Age Concern Leicestershire & Rutland - 0116 299 2233
- Age Concern Lutterworth - 01455 557116
- Age Concern Oadby & Wigston - 0116 288 5203
- Age Concern Hinkley & Bosworth - 01455 619519
- Direct.gov.uk Government information website.
Help with getting the right equipment
If you are not an inpatient, call your local social care department from the list below, for help getting equipment such as stair rails, stair lifts, tap turners, jar openers.
- Blaby, Oadby & Wigston - 0116 278 7111
- Market Harborough - 01858 465331
- Charnwood - 01509 266641
- Melton Mowbray - 01664 564698
- Hinkley & Bosworth - 01455 636964
- North west Leicestershire - 01530 275200
- Rutland County Council - 01572 722577
- Leicester - 0116 253 1191.
Help for carers
Citizens' Advice Bureaux local branches:
- Leicester city - 0116 285 2801
- North West Leicestershire - 01530 454751
- South Leicestershire - 0844 848 9009
- Melton Mowbray - 01664 484050
- Charnwood (Loughborough) - 01509 267376
- Hinckley - 0844 826 9710
- Shepshed - 01509 506663
- Rutland - 0845 120 3705.
- Mosaic: Shaping Disabiltiy Service
- Voluntary Action Leicester(VAL) - see also entries below:
- Voluntary Action Blaby - 0116 272 7669
- Voluntary Action Oadby & Wigston - 0116 281 0026
- Voluntary Action south Leicestershire - 01858 432014
- Voluntary Action north west Leicestershire - 01530 510515
- Voluntary Action Charnwood - 01509 631750
- Voluntary Action Melton - 01664 483043
- Voluntary Action Hinckley & Bosworth - 01455 633002.