This calming breathing technique takes just a few minutes and can be done anywhere.
You can do it standing, sitting or lying down, make yourself as comfortable as you can and loosen any clothes that may feel restrictive.
- If sitting, place your arms on the chair arms, if you are sitting or standing, place both feet flat on the ground. If lying down, place your arms a little bit away from your legs with your palms up. Let your legs be straight or bend your knees so your feet are flat on the ground. Whatever position you are in, place your feet roughly hip width apart.
- Let your breath flow as deep down into your belly as is comfortable, without forcing it
- Try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth
- Breathe in gently and regularly. Some people find it helpful to count steadily from 1 to 5. You may not be able to reach 5 at first
- Then, without pausing or holding your breath, let it flow out gently, counting from 1 to 5 again, if you find this helpful
- Keep doing this for 3 to 5 minutes