Children and adults with learning disabilities and autism who need a Covid-19 vaccine are invited to book into specialist vaccination clinics in May and June.
The latest sessions, which will offer those attending a calm and friendly environment that meets their needs, will be held on the following dates and venues:
- Tuesday 10 May, from 9.15am – 1.15pm, at Feilding Palmer Hospital (Gilmorton Rd, Lutterworth LE17 4DZ) for children aged 5-11
- Tuesday 10 May, from 2.15pm – 5.15pm, at Feilding Palmer Hospital (Gilmorton Rd, Lutterworth LE17 4DZ) for people aged 12 upwards
- Wednesday 1 June, from 9.15am – 1.15pm, at Loughborough Hospital (Hospital Way, LE11 5JY) for children aged 5-11
- Wednesday 1 June, from 2.15pm – 5.15pm, Loughborough Hospital (Hospital Way, LE11 5JY) for people aged 12 upwards.
All appointments need to be booked in advance. The vaccine used will be Pfizer, with children aged 5-11 receiving a lower dose as per national guidelines.
The sessions are open to anyone with a learning disability or autism in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland, aged five and over, who needs a first, second, third or fourth Covid-19 vaccination.
The clinics are designed for people who need a more supportive environment than an ordinary clinic can provide, with a calmer atmosphere, longer appointment times and vaccinators specialising in learning disability support and care.
Sam Screaton, learning disability vaccination clinical lead at Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, said: “It is extremely important to us to ensure that everyone who wants and needs a COVID-19 vaccine has access to them.
“If you catch Covid-19 it can make you poorly. People with a learning disability are more likely to become very poorly if they catch coronavirus, so getting the protection from the vaccine is the best way to stay healthy.
“We have now opened these sessions up to children aged 5-11 with a learning disability or autism, as well as those aged 12 and above. I can assure anyone who is nervous about coming that all the people who work at the clinics are very friendly and will make sure you feel as comfortable and calm as possible. Parents and carers can also let us know if there are any special adaptions we can make to help make the vaccination easier at the time of booking.”
To book, please us the following links. Please specify in the additional comments box if you need for us to make any specialist adaptations, such as needing a private or quiet space.
- Book an appointment at the 5-11 clinic at Feilding Palmer Hospital on Tuesday 10 May
- Book an appointment at the 12 plus clinic at Feilding Palmer Hospital on Tuesday 10 May
- Book an appointment at the 5-11 clinic at Loughborough Hospital on Wednesday 1 June
- Book an appointment at the 12 plus clinic at Loughborough Hospital on Wednesday 1 June
More information about Covid-19 vaccines can be found in easy read formats: