Over the summer, Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT) ran its successful Move it Boom initiative for the third time, encouraging primary school children to be more physically active. Pupils at the winning school, Millfield L.E.A.D Academy in Leicester, are now enjoying their prize – bespoke playground equipment provided by Red Monkey Play.
In order to encourage young people to become more active, Move it Boom provided an online robot-building game to encourage physical exercise, helping children see it as fun and enjoyable. Pupils logged points via the Move it Boom website to upgrade their robot based on how much activity they did, and in doing so increased their school’s chances of winning a prize donated by LPT’s local sports partners.
One of these partners is Wigston-based playground equipment manufacturer Red Monkey Play. As well as taking part in the ‘mascot race’ which
launched this year’s Move it Boom competition back in March, the company generously donated £1,000 worth of bespoke playground equipment to the winning school. This equipment has now been installed at Millfield L.E.A.D Academy, to the delight of pupils and teachers.
Millfield L.E.A.D Academy’s headteacher Pete Wood added, “Our pupils were very motivated to take part in Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust’s Move it Boom programme and we’re so grateful that Red Monkey Play were able to donate such a great prize. The new playground equipment will help us continue to encourage physical activity at Millfield L.E.A.D Academy. Red Monkey Play have been fantastic from start to finish. The work they’ve done was carried out quickly, and the finished product looks absolutely amazing.”
Simon Winfield, Director at Red Monkey Play, explained, “We’re so pleased that Millfield L.E.A.D Academy are the winners of this year’s Move it Boom competition and the Red Monkey Play team is really proud of the new equipment that’s been installed at the school. From start to finish, we were impressed by how enthusiastic the Academy was in encouraging children’s physical activity, and it was great for us at Red Monkey Play to be involved in such a fantastic initiative. After all, encouraging children and young people to have fun through active play is what we’re all about.”
Sarah Tebbett, quality lead for school nursing at LPT, said: “This is the third time we’ve run Move it Boom, and it’s a great way for schools to promote healthy lifestyles with children, helping them understand the importance of being active as they grow up. We’re very grateful to all our sports partners, especially Red Monkey Play for supporting the initiative.”
Notes to editors
- Move it Boom is hosted via Health for Kids, LPT’s health promotion website for primary school children. Find out more at www.healthforkids.co.uk/moveitboom
- With over 20 years’ experience in manufacturing wooden outdoor play equipment, Red Monkey Play creates all of its products at its Wigston workshop, in accordance with the latest National Curriculum guidelines. The equipment donated to Millfield L.E.A.D Academy has been made according to the school’s exact dimensions, using the highest quality products.
Further information about Red Monkey Play can be accessed at:
- Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust (LPT) provides community health, mental health and learning disabilities services for the one million people living in Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland. We have a budget in excess of £275 million and employ approximately 5,500 staff. For more information visit: www.leicspart.nhs.uk. Healthy Together is the name for LPT’s 0-19 public health nursing offer for children, young people and families which is funded by Leicester City Council, Leicestershire County Council and Rutland County Council.
For further information contact:
- Rosie Huckle, Communications Manager for Families, Young People and Children’s Services, Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, Tel: 0116 295 0802, Email: email@example.com
- Lily Walker, Marketing and Communications Executive for Red Monkey Play, Mocha Marketing and Communications, Tel: 0116 298 9436 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org