The mental health urgent care hub is based at the Bradgate Unit, on the site of Glenfield Hospital, and is staffed by mental health practitioners with the expertise to treat people of all ages; this includes mental health nurses, support workers, and consultants. It is specifically for people with mental health needs that don’t need any physical health support from an emergency department.
They are assessed within two hours, and treated immediately if necessary. They are observed and, if needed, a crisis plan put in place. If an assessment finds that a person needs inpatient support, they are transferred to an appropriate ward or appropriate support in the community would be arranged.
The Bradgate Unit was selected because:
- the Hub could be set up quickly as it was next to other mental health services
- it was already open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- mental health clinicians are onsite, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- it avoided Leicester Royal Infirmary emergency department being overwhelmed
- it has free parking, comfortable waiting areas and refreshments available
People are referred to the hub by emergency services, social care or health professionals.