Mill Lodge is a community inpatient unit for people with Huntington’s disease. Patients have severe and enduring mental health needs and require complex care due to physical, psychiatric, behavioural and psychological needs or rehabilitation. The community team is also based here.
It has 14 bedrooms with en suite bathrooms and facilities to meet all domestic needs. There are a number of therapy and activity areas including clinical areas and a sensory room, as well as a landscaped courtyard garden.
We organise a comprehensive assessment of:
- Physical health
- Emotional needs
- Behavioural changes
- Cognitive function
- Social wellbeing and coping
We are committed to ensuring our inpatients:
- Are treated with respect and dignity with your views and opinions sought in all aspects of your care
- Receive a thorough assessment to confirm needs and strengths that identifies the level and type of treatments, therapies and support you require
- Are offered a full programme of activities to restore function, develop skills, abilities and confidence based on the assessment outcomes
- Have weekly contact with your named nurse to monitor your care and to seek your views, wishes and needs
- Gain understanding of your condition through educational programmes
- Get quality care delivered in a homely supportive environment that is conducive to wellbeing and relaxation.
- Have person-centred care planning both now and for the future
- Carers are engaged and supported
We build on individual strengths and develop person-centred care plans with the patient . There is regular review to renew goals in the care and treatment process. The assessment tools allow us to measure individual progress, based on function rather than symptoms, to maximise independence, confidence and wellbeing.
We provide a full and varied activity programme, assisting in establishing routine and predictability to the day to restore function and develop new skills.
Our Huntington’s Disease Community Nursing Team can see patients in their own homes or at a venue to suit the client. We also hold a multi-disciplinary clinic every month as well as a monthly research clinic.
The inpatient unit is for people who have been diagnosed as having Huntington’s disease. The Community team cares for people who have Huntington’s disease or are at risk of developing it or who are affected by it.
Who to contact if you need an interpreter or information about disabled access
Tel: 0116 295 1615