- Click here for more ideas about challenges and support strategies for autistic people in school
- ‘School stress and anxiety – How it can lead to refusal and impact on family life’ is an excellent document to share with teachers on how to support an autistic student that is struggling with school related anxiety. Click here to access this document.
- Click here for the National Autistic Society Education Rights Helpline
- Click here for the National Autistic Society Education Tribunal Support Helpline
- Click here for the National Autistic Society information about exams
- Click here for Dr Pooky Knightsmith- Getting it right for autistic learners in mainstream settings
- Click here for Dr Pooky Knightsmith- 6 in 60: Emotional regulation at school for autistic students
- Click here to access a video from Health for Teens around exam stress
‘Championing Your Autistic Teen at Secondary School: Getting the Best from Mainstream Settings’ by Debby Elly
From choosing the right school for your child (and spotting the tell-tale signs of the wrong one), to preparing both your child and the new school for the transition, to overcoming barriers and building a positive, collaborative and effective relationship between home and school. Tackling key topics from the point of view of both parent and teacher and using examples of great practice, this contains everything you need to know to build a more positive secondary school experience for your child.
‘Nurturing Your Autistic Young Person – A Parent’s Handbook to Supporting Newly Diagnosed Teens and Pre-Teens’ by Cathy Wassell
This book contains a wealth of information on autism related topics. It is for parents and would also be useful for any teacher who needs to know more about their autistic students. It includes the useful and informative chapter ‘Autism in School’
‘Autism, Bullying and Me: The Really Useful Stuff You Need To Know About Coping with Bullying’ by Emily Lovegrove
‘Square Pegs: Inclusivity, Compassion and Fitting in – a Guide for Schools’ by Fran Morgan and Ellie Costello.
This book is for educational professionals – but might give parents some ideas about what to expect and ask from schools.
‘Learning from Autistic Teachers: How to be a Neurodiversity Inclusive School’ by Wood, Crane, Morrison and Moyse
For links to all our school related articles, click on the link below: