Patient/Carer Support Groups

What to do if you’re really struggling to cope and need help urgently?

Medical Psychology Service does not offer crisis or emergency support. You can call your GP to access an appropriate service if you are in crisis. If you need help urgently and it is an emergency (immediate/serious/life threatening mental and/or physical health emergency), dial 999 for an ambulance (You can call 999 from a mobile phone even if it has no credit) or attend A&E.

If you need help urgently but it is not an emergency you can call (self-refer) the Central Access Point (CAP) on 0808 800 3302. The CAP is open 24/7 so you can call at any time. The CAP will assess your needs and signpost/refer you to the most appropriate help based on your needs. They can then signpost or help you access the best support to meet your needs. This might be to get help via a new Urgent Care Hub set up during the coronavirus, a crisis team, community mental health team, or other service within mental health services or other provider.

The following helplines are available:

  • The Samaritans: 116 123 (freephone) 24/7 or 08457 909090. Or email “”. Additionally, the branch at 1a, Elmfield Avenue, Leicester, LE2 1RB provide a walk in service between 9:30am and 9pm 7 days a week.
  • SANE-Line: 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm-10.30pm every day of the year)
  • CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably): 0800 58 58 58 (Freephone) (5pm-midnight 365 days a year). They also offer a webchat option between those hours.
  • Shout (text service): TEXT 85258 (Freephone) 24/7.
Close search menu